Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fun with fatty fish!

The husband and I are trying to bump up those darn HDL levels these days. Fortunately for us, that means eating more of something we happen to love - FISH!! Mmmm that wonderful omega-3 fatty acid powerhouse that just happens to be delicious! I can certainly do with more Salmon :) Other fish high in omega 3s include mackerel, herring, sardines and tuna. Also, to get the most out of these fish in terms of omega-3s, it's apparently best to bake or broil and NOT fry them.

Dinner last night -
* Grilled salmon fillets
* Grilled squash, zucchini and mushrooms
* Sauteed Ginger Asparagus
* Warm french bread with an olive oil dip
Total prep time : 30 mins with parallel processing!

Grilled salmon fillets (Prep time : 30 mins)
Ingredients
- One fillet of salmon (about 200-250 gms??)
- 2-3 cloves grated garlic
- Balsamic vinegar drizzle
- Olive oil drizzle
- Salt and pepper to taste
(Sorry, I'm not good with measurements!!)
Procedure
Cut the fillet into roughly 4 salmon chunks and rub well with the mixture of ingredients listed above. Place on a baking sheet / cover in foil and bake/broil in the oven till the chunks easily flake off with a fork (takes around 20 mins I would say). Serve warm!

Sauteed Asparagus ginger (Prep time : 10-15 mins)
 Ingredients
- One bunch of asparagus
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optionals : flaxpowder, crushed walnuts to garnish
Procedure
A friend of mine suggested this asparagus recipe from Manjula's kitchen...I followed it word for word and simply LOVED it! Simple no-fuss recipe resulting in a beautiful crunchy and of course, healthy side-dish. I threw in a tablespoon of flax powder on the asparagus after taking it off the stove. The verdict : Yum.my!

Grilled veggies (Prep time : 10 mins)
 Ingredients
- One zucchini
- One yellow squash
- A bunch of mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper, red chili powder
- Optionals : fresh rosemary
Procedure
The veggies get minimal treatment. Just chop up the zucchini, squash and mushroom into slightly bigger than bite-size pieces, mix up well with olive oil, salt, pepper and/or red chilli powder and grill/bake in the oven at 375F for about 10 mins. Broil for a couple of mins if you want them crispy. Sometime I add rosemary to the veggies for an italian-y flavor.

Dipping sauce for the french bread 
 Ingredients
- Olive oil (OO)
- Balsamic vinegar (BV)
- Dried oregano flakes
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Procedure
Mix the OO and BV (in a 2:3 ratio roughly) along with the other ingredients and use as a dip for warm french bread (easily available in Kroger / any generic grocery store)

Bon appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Dare I comment in the incipient stages of the blog? I feel entitled because of the obvious privilege to have made it to the first post. And I want to snag the right to comment first too! Yes, yes I am the friend she refers to :P!

    First things first, I think it's very becoming of married women to blog their culinary exploits for it's hard work! And don't let anyone tell you it isn't! And secondly, I think I am so excited that I have been typing only in exclamations!

    I know it's a bit much to ask for pictures of food from every dinner you have, but some visuals would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heeeheee i have a follower and a comment!! thanks Nidhi, I was about to give up on blogging (its hard work I say!) but yes, photos shall be put up...the face of this blog is going to change several times before I decide on something more permanent. Hats off to all food bloggers, didn't realise how involved a project it is till I actually got to trying it for myself! (Look, I'm talking in exclamations too!) :D

    ReplyDelete